Most of us know how easy it is to feel stuck in our negative thought spirals and allow them to pull us down. It can be so powerful in influencing the way we feel about ourselves and the world around us, that we can get lost for the rest of the day or even longer.
Yet, this is not the result we want, right?
It doesn’t have to be this way. We are able to regain more control over the way we think and feel by using our imagination for something more pleasant and enjoyable. Our mind cannot tell the difference between real and imagined. That is why we can feel so horrible and completely lost when we engage in our worst-case scenarios. It begins to feel as real as it can get.
And yet, it doesn't make it real.
How can we take back control of our thoughts and feelings?
One way of doing that is self-hypnosis. It does sound a bit woo-woo and weird, but when you think about it, it is what we do all day long already.
We engage our minds in chains of thoughts that are more often than not unpleasant and can create crippling anxiety and stress. As a result, we feel hopeless, and helpless and can go to really dark places.
Objectively, when we take a look from a distance, nothing has really changed, but our mind tells us it has and our body gives us the appropriate feeling.
This is how you influence yourself, or hypnotize yourself, in one way without knowing it consciously.
And what you can do one way you can do another way as well. You can choose a way that helps you to feel better about yourself, your life, and the future.
I would like to invite you to join me in a very simple exercise, that will enable you in 5 minutes or less to change the way you feel. Depending on what you would prefer to feel, you can make it so.
Self-hypnosis doesn't have to be complex or complicated. It is just a tool for you to focus your attention on something you would like to experience, and influence your mood and state, especially when you are feeling stressed, anxious, or low. It can feel similar to meditation, turning inwards and connecting yourself with yourself.
While both will help you to feel better, self-hypnosis can be used with an intention you set beforehand. Let's say you would like to feel more confident, calmer, and more peaceful. This would be the intention you set, preparing your mind to create more of that for you.
Sometimes it just takes a few minutes time to go from stressed and negative to a much more positive outlook and ease of mind. Once the pattern is broken, you are much more open to thinking clearly again and putting things into a different perspective. Dark clouds shift into a more colorful view. Give yourself that treat by simply allowing yourself this moment of quality time.
To access your subconscious mind and experience the power you have over your own thoughts, perform this little exercise as often as you can and see for yourself, how easy it can be to shift your attention from something negative into something more beautiful and light.
Practice this exercise or any other exercise when you feel ok or even good. This will establish an "anchor", an easier path to come back to when you might feel down in the future. You will have collected the experience, that you can do it and trained your brain to go there faster, easier, and more reliably.
Most importantly: Enjoy your time and yourself!
Take 5 minutes and let's go! Treat yourself to a little Mind Spa:
1. Find yourself a comfortable chair, where you can sit down for a moment and know, you will not be disturbed in the coming minutes. Find a position, that makes you feel relaxed and ground your feet on the floor.
2. Find an object in the room or just a point on the wall and focus on it taking some calming breaths in through your nose and slowly exhaling through your mouth. No need to force anything, just settle in.
3. In your mind, repeat to yourself: “Relax" - around 4 times and feel your body beginning to relax, letting go of any tension you are aware of. And as you are letting go of any tension notice your eyelids getting heavier and more relaxed, till it is just easier and more comfortable for them to close.
4. The moment your eyes are closed, let them relax even deeper and dive into that sensation. Spread that relaxation all the way through your body, from the top of your head down to the tips of your toes. You might feel your body becoming lighter and floating, maybe heavier and maybe even warmer than before. Notice what you notice. And if you don't notice anything, that's ok, too. There is no right or wrong way for you, just your way at this very moment.
5. Be in that moment and enjoy your experience. Breathe comfortably in and out, don’t force anything.
6. Now in that very comfortable state of relaxation open your mind to find a place for you that you really like and where you feel happy, at ease, carefree and just being yourself. This may be a place you know or a place where you always wanted to go, perhaps a beach at the sea, or a lush garden or you imagine yourself on top of a mountain looking at the view in front of you. The place may also just be your most comfortable place to be, maybe your bed or sofa. Allow your imagination to find or invent that wonderful relaxing and positive place for you.
7. Use all your senses to experience that place of yours. Look around, and see everything you would see. Are you alone? Are other people with or around you? Strangers, loved ones? If there are, you can imagine them smiling at you and making you feel welcome, loved, and accepted.
What else is going on there? Is there anything you can hear?
The sound of the wind or waves, birds? Laughter? The sound of your heart? Music?
And what else? Can you smell something?
Can you feel something? Perhaps warmth on your skin, or a freshness?
Check in with yourself as you immerse yourself fully into this experience.
Maybe you will notice a smile on your face. Or maybe you will become aware of a peaceful and relaxed feeling, as you are sitting on your chair? Notice how you feel.
8. Internalize your pleasant feeling. Take it with you. Remember it.
9. When you are ready to come back, take some deep breaths, stretch your body, move your feet and hands, open your eyes, and have a look around.
10. You are back in the Here and Now, you feel refreshed and fully awake.
11. And most important of all, you feel good.
Make use of your imagination for the good.
To your happiness,
If you want to go deeper and create the life you get excited about, feeling happier, more at ease and confident, book a first call with me HERE and let's find out how I can help you specifically.